Graduate "stuck in a rut" ...

graduu

I'm a graduate stuck in a rut, or at least that's most certainly how I feel right now. It's been six months since I exited the student bubble, graduated with a 2.1, celebrated like it was the best achievement in my life but then swiftly slumped back into the reality of stacking shelves - living the dream eh? I can hardly say university was the best days of my life as I was never that stereo-typical socialite student - I stayed at home, commuted, worked my arse off having two jobs, studied hard and never once did I engage with all the student life shenanigans. God I sound boring but cheesy bar crawls, cheap drinks and fancy dress is just not my scene.... I am a high maintenance girl with a luxury lifestyle, I did the whole student budget living the first time around and can safely say living in a run down house on plain pasta and no money sucks. Hence why after three months I came home (shock). Don't get me wrong I have had a lot of fun being a student courtesy of student loan and my wages from two jobs - lavish holidays, hair extensions, various shopping sprees and even a new car but unfortunately my regular supply of "free money" has come to an end and so it's goodbye student life and hello to the big wide world of work...

Leaving uni is a daunting prospect to say the least. For starters I did a degree in Education and Early Years with intentions to be a teacher, however, after getting half way through the course I realised that it just wasn't for me - there was no excitement or love in what I was doing. I remember my lecturer going around asking everybody their plans for after university. It was apparent I was in a room surrounded full of aspiring teachers with a passion to progress onto their teacher training however little old me, no.... " I want to work in the fashion industry" - oops heart spoke out loud - busted. My lecturer looked at me gone out and replied "well what are you doing here then?!" I understand it might appear bizarre, I mean it couldn't be a career any more opposite - fashion industry // teacher - but as I illiterate things change and so had I. That didn't mean to say I was just going to walk out on my degree three years in?! I'm not a quitter and so I finished what I started...

And now here I am, an education graduate wanting to pursue a career in fashion however other than blogging and my paid blogging job - I don't actually have any experience in the field?! Which seems to be the biggest problem of my life right now, how am I meant to gain experience if nobody will give me a chance?!! I mean I have six years retail experience but that doesn't seem to count for much when your wanting to branch away from it. Job criteria's are so demanding nowadays... two year's experience, 2.1 degree's upwards and a zillions UCAS points from a-levels, wait, a-levels!?! Yep you would have thought your degree would have been the main qualification they cared about now but unfortunately for me, my shocking a-levels have come back to haunt me... Anyhow, I can't actually say I've applied for millions of jobs and been rejected for every single one because I haven't, I barely meet the requirements for most that take my fancy. I have however applied for numerous voluntary fashion jobs in a bid to bag me that much needed experience, boost my c.v and hopefully help me get closer to landing my dream job.

So for now I am just going to plod on, keep on applying and cross my fingers and toes that something good will turn up. My main reason for this post is not just to vent my frustration (although it might seem like it!) but to just assure you that if like me you have recently graduated and feel somewhat "stuck in a rut" just keep telling yourself that this feeling won't be forever. It's OK to graduate and not have landed your dream job straight away. As long as your actually trying and making steps in the right direction in hope of reaching your desired career - something will turn up, you just need to stay positive, remain motivated and don't give up!

Are there any other graduates out there that feel like this? 
,laurasignature (1)

2 comments

Amy Tibble said...

I completely feel like this! I graduated from a photography degree and now I would like to be an arts therapist but it requires 1000 hours of relevant experience before I can even do the masters needed! It can feel so lonely being in this situation so I'm so glad you wrote about how you feel so now I know I'm not the only one! Thank you x

Anonymous said...

I am not a Graduate but I can completely understand how you are feeling because I feel the same. I am lucky in that I am in full time employment but I work as an admin assistant for a very male dominated company and its not something I want to be doing for a living. I find it boring and stressful. I find postings for jobs but I'm under qualified. I just need someone to give me a chance else how the heck else are you supposed to progress in life? Its the worst feeling in the world but know you are not alone :) Nothing bad lasts forever xx

http://sophielovesx.blogspot.co.uk

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig